WANG CHUQIN DEFENDS WTT FINALS TITLE IN DOHA

 


WANG CHUQIN DEFENDS WTT FINALS TITLE IN DOHA


Wang Chuqin has clinched victory at WTT Finals Men Doha 2023, defending his Men's Singles title in style. The World No.2 lifted the trophy following a decisive 4-0 (11-8, 11-9, 12-10, 11-7) win against top seed and World No.1 Fan Zhendong at the Lusail Sports Arena in Qatar


Building on his success at Xinxiang 2022, Wang aimed to secure another Men's Singles title at the season-ending event. The grand finale took on added significance with the second seed facing off against the event’s 2021 champion. 


Despite Wang trailing in the head-to-head record 3:9, the duo had split their previous two encounters, with each of those matches going the full seven-games distance.


The final began at a competitive pace, with Fan initially taking the lead. However, Wang made a strong comeback, securing the opening game with a score of 11-8.


As play unfolded, Wang maintained his dominance, displaying confidence and skill. Fan fought back in the third game, narrowing the gap, but Wang's strategic timeout proved crucial. Wang carried on to seal the victory in straight games, successfully defending his WTT Finals title.


After the win, Wang Chuqin acknowledged the challenges of facing the World No.1 and longtime rival. 


“Since it's the finals, I didn't feel much pressures," said Wang Chuqin. "I enjoyed the stage of the finals. Facing Fan, I gave my best to take on the challenges. As to my overall performance, I had a good mentality this time. Each time I try my best and just focus on my own performance.” 


Wang Chuqin's triumph earned him a USD 40,000  and 1500 ITTF Table Tennis World Ranking points, helping to close the gap to World No.1 Fan Zhendong to under 1000 points. Wang also now leads the list of WTT Series event champions with six Men's Singles titles, surpassing both Fan and Brazil’s Hugo Calderano.


“Things like rankings and comparison with other players are not much on my mind," said Wang Chuqin following the landmark win. "I have my own benchmark. I'm happy to begin the year with the title at WTT Finals Men Doha 2023. There are going to be more major events in the remainder of the year, so I'll take it step by step to stand up to the challenges and try to win even more.” 


With the 2023 season now over, WTT Series 2024 gets underway next week with WTT Star Contender Doha which is set to be staged from 8-13 January at Lusail Sports Arena.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

portuguese nationality for goans

Mother-of-Pearl Shell Windows - Architecture of Goa

Jason Almeida brings a slice of Goa to UK via Potyo restaurant