OBITUARY: Fr Planton Faria CUNCOLIM

OBITUARY: Fr Planton Faria
BY FREDERICK NORONHA


He was one of the priests who wrote a lot, and of direct interest to me (as
a collector of Goa books) was his work on his village of Cuncolim in Goa.
Both his knowledge and love for the place showed in his labour of love.

By the early 1990s, Fr Planton must have realised what a poor job Goa was
doing in training the next generation of journalists. So he himself
launched a training programme under the aegis (if I recall right) of the
Diocesan Centre for Social Media Communications. Classes were held on
Sundays in a classroom at the Mary Immaculate School, Panjim, again if I'm
not getting it wrong. That was the predecessor to the journalism training
schools we have today (attached to colleges like Xavier's, Dhempe's and Don
Bosco's) ... and even more is required. It was the foresight of people like
Fr Faria who saw the ball starting to roll.

I recall volunteering myself to teach there (having just returned from a
useful scholarship in Germany and feeling the need to give back), and Fr
Faria (who didn't know me personally) was quick to accept. He gave me a
slot to focus on photography, which then too I was interested in. If I'm
not wrong, some who attended those classes became journalists subsequently.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

portuguese nationality for goans

Mother-of-Pearl Shell Windows - Architecture of Goa

Jason Almeida brings a slice of Goa to UK via Potyo restaurant